Trust Corporation International is recognised as a leader in the field of fiduciary disputes resolution. Being located in Guernsey, a jurisdiction with a strong court system experienced in hearing and adjudicating on trust disputes, we are ideally placed to deal with disputes affecting our existing clients, but also to step in as an independent trustee, to resolve a problem which might have deadlocked a structure, or to take other steps the existing fiduciary is for whatever reason, unwilling or unable to take.
Examples of the kind of dispute in which we have been (or would be) able to assist, include:
- Acting as an independent trustee to oversee the final application of a fund’s assets on winding up
- Replacing an existing trustee to undertake a comprehensive review of the tax issues affecting a structure
- Stepping in to issue proceedings on behalf of a trust, where the previous trustee was in a position of conflict
- Acting as the independent trustee of a pension scheme
- Overseeing as trustee, litigation undertaken by or against a company the shares in which are held by the trust
- Taking steps to recover assets misappropriated from a structure by a third party
- Administering illiquid or insolvent structures
Many of our directors and other staff have qualifications in law or accountancy. Whilst we do not offer legal advice, that experience enables them to add very real value to the resolution of any private wealth dispute, by applying to the matter a combination of their detailed legal or tax knowledge and their experience as professional fiduciaries. As experienced and knowledgeable practitioners, they are also able to work very effectively and at a high level with other professionals, such as lawyers or accountants, whose expertise is often also required to resolve a matter. In short, our approach is simple; we aim to deal effectively and sensitively with any trust dispute or similar issue, with a view to resolving it in the simplest and most effective manner for the benefit of those affected by it. Our hope is that only rarely will that necessitate court proceedings, as alternative disputes resolution procedures are particularly well suited to trust disputes.
Within Trust Corporation International we have invested to ensure a number of our staff work almost exclusively to provide this vital yet infrequently available type of service. In so doing, they can call upon expertise elsewhere within the business, to offer a highly professional, sensitive and informed approach to contentious situations involving private wealth.